SavingFood Platform about to be launched!
Our partners in Greece, Hungary, the UK and Belgium have begun their gleaning and farmer’s market activities and the SavingFood Platform will soon be open for volunteers, donors and recipient organisations by mid-January.
But what is the SavingFood Platform and what does it mean to be a volunteer, a donor or a recipient organization?
SavingFood platform is an innovative solution to tackle food waste through the collaborative power of ICT networks. (https://goo.gl/PEy42e)
What does it mean to be a volunteer?
As a citizen there are lots of ways to get involved!
• Participate in gleaning and farmer’s market events and save unharvested/unsold fruit and vegetables, suggest businesses in your neighbourhood as potential food donors and encourage your friends and family to take action. The platform will provide all necessary information, such as the different locations where such food saving activities have been scheduled and when.
All you need to do is to choose an event that corresponds to your availability and interests and come with us to collect the surplus fruits and vegetables that producers wish to donate.
What does it mean to be a donor?
By registering with the SavingFood platform
• you will be able to save and donate surplus food from your food business for the benefit of people in need.
• At any time, you will be able to check what your company has saved and offered, as well as how many charities have been helped by your donations. Log in, enter what’s included in your donation and select your preferred date and time frame for the pickup.
We will receive your offer and then select the most appropriate charity organisation for it. As soon as the charity accepts the donation, you will get a notification. On the designated day and place, the receiving charity will show up and pick up your donation.
What does it mean to be a recipient organization?
If you’re a social welfare organisation,
• you will be able to register on the SavingFood platform and let us know what type of food you need to help the people you support. We will share with you on the platform donations that match your food needs and are close to your location.
• The only thing you need to do is to confirm your team’s availability to collect the food donation at the designated time and place.
Donations can be collected from local food stores, such as bakeries, supermarkets and pastry shops and also from nearby farmers markets or gleaning events organised through the help of our volunteers.
Find out more at http://www.savingfood.eu
Soon we will provide you with the official launch date of the SavingFood Platform!
The opportunities are numerous, and the time has arrived to start SavingFood!
#SavingFood #stopfoodwaste #savingfood.eu (Our Instagram account)